Understanding the Brotherhood
Ever since the inception of the Order of the Arrow in 1915, it was intended that all members should be equal in rank. Brotherhood membership does not provide a specific degree of rank, status, or special honor like that of the Vigil Honor. The Brotherhood is an opportunity for members to reaffirm their belief in the high purposes of the Order. The ceremony is intended as a source of inspiration that motivates brothers to give even greater service to Scouting.
Eligibility for the Brotherhood
An Ordeal member may become a Brotherhood member when they have completed the five Challenges of Brotherhood Membership:
- Memorize the signs of OA Membership
- Advance in your understanding of the Ordeal
- The four-principal characters of the Ordeal Ceremony
- The four tests of the Ordeal
- The Arrow (as a symbol of leadership)
- The True Name of the Order of the Arrow
- Serve Your Unit. Retain your registration in Scouting. During a period of at least 6 months, continue and expand service to ones own Troop, Crew, or Ship.
- Plan for Service in your Lodge. Keep your lodge dues current and participate in the Lodge.
- Review Your Progress. When you earnestly feel that you have met the four challenges above, write a letter to the Lodge Secretary.
Request a Brotherhood Study Guide
Complete the Brotherhood Letter
To complete your Brotherhood letter, pay for your brotherhood sash ($25), and register for the Lodge event you will be completing your brotherhood ceremony:
Cost to participate in a Brotherhood Ceremony
$25 (purchase of the Brotherhood sash. Option to purchase sash is available after completing your brotherhood letter)
Registering for a Brotherhood Ceremony
When the five challenges have been completed, the Ordeal Member should present himself at the requested time, as a candidate for Brotherhood Membership. This may be done at any Ammatdiio lodge fellowship or activity offering Brotherhood conversion (usually done at an induction ceremony)
Option to select ceremony location is offered after completing your brotherhood letter
|Lodge Events Medical Form||Parts A and B are required for all Order of the Arrow participants at Lodge events.||Download|